Homeowners in Montgomery know that Alabama weather is warm more often than not. In fact, U.S. Climate Data shows Montgomery experiences highs in the 70’s or higher 9 out of 12 months every year. It’s no wonder Alabama families love to be outside! Unfortunately, another thing we’re know for is mosquitoes. But there’s a way your family can enjoy the outdoors without being pestered by bugs or melting in the hot southern sun—a screened-in deck or porch!
Screened-In Decks and Porches Add Value to Your Home
Screened-in porches add value to your home by increasing your total usable outdoor space. If you have the choice between building a larger porch or one with more high-end finishes, the larger option is your best investment because you’re adding more usable square footage to your home’s living space. While most screened-in decks don’t increase the square footage of your home for resell purposes, having a large screened-in deck appeals to future buyers. No one ever says they want less space!
Think About the Materials
There are several high-end options available for decking but pressure treated wood remains a low-cost favorite that is both beautiful and customizable. Meanwhile, new porch screens are nearly invisible, allowing you to enjoy your view no matter the season. But what about the little things that really bring a screened-in deck or porch to life and make them enjoyable year-round? Talk with your contractor about:
- Flooring choices including pressure treated wood, cedar, composite, and vinyl
- UV-resistant screens that may be necessary based on the position of your deck
- Ceiling fans with or without lighting
- A fireplace so you can use your screened-in porch in cooler weather
- Shades to block direct lighting during certain times of day
- Generous overhangs to help prevent rain from getting in
- Electrical outlets so you can enjoy lighting and personal electronics while you relax
- TV mounting and installation for a truly enjoyable outdoor experience
- And many people enjoy screened-in decks with vaulted ceilings as well
The Bottom Line
When you think about building a screened-in deck or porch in, there are a lot of options to consider. The most important thing to remember is that a quality-build will ensure you get the most enjoyment out of your home while improving your home’s value in the eyes of future buyers.
So which materials do you choose? Which finishes will work best for your lifestyle and budget? How big should your screened-in deck or porch be? And what location will bring your family the most enjoyment?
No matter your choice, speaking to a professional contractor should be your first step. They can guide you through the process and make your dream screened-in deck a reality. Call Mike at (334) 281-3001 to start your next project in Montgomery, Alabama!